Starting with version 4.0 of the Polycom SIP software, you can easily enable PTT (Push To Talk) directly through the Polycom phones. This feature is only available between phones on the same physical local area network and requires multicast. OnSIP cannot help to support or troubleshoot this feature; it is not a standard feature of the OnSIP Hosted PBX and is unsupported. The below information should work on most networks without additional setup.
Step 1: Enable Web Interface
As one of our security features, phones configured and provisioned to the OnSIP Boot Server have had the web interface disabled by default. Once all activity has been completed within the web interface, OnSIP STRONGLY recommends re-enabling the web interface of the phone.
- Log into the OnSIP Admin Portal
- On the "Resources" tab, locate MAC address of phones and click to expand boxes
- Modify "Phone Details" box
- Place a checkmark next to "Web Interface", and save
- Take note of the phone's password. You'll need this in Step 3 below
- Restart phone (menu, settings, basic, restart)
Step 2: Gather IP Address
On your phone, depress the following options
- TCP/IP Parameters
Step 3: Configure PTT Channels
- Take the IP address identified in Step 2, put it into the address bar of your browser and depress "enter" button on keyboard. If you are accessing a Polycom VVX phone, you'll need to first enter https:// then the IP address (ie https://192.168.2.1). This will take you to the web user interface for the phone.
- Log in with the admin username and password
Username: Polycom (Be sure to use capital "P"!)
Password: 456 (universal Polycom password) or the phone password (identified in Step 1 above).
- From the "Settings" menu choose "Paging/PTT Configuration".
- Choose the plus sign "+" next to PTT Mode Configuration to expand that section.
- Choose "Enable" for PTT Mode.
- Give the Default Channel a label identifying the user. Make the "Available", "Send" and "Subscribe" categories all "yes".
- If you would like the 'whisper-type' option, select "Accept While Busy - enable" (default is "disable")
- Choose "Save" at the bottom of the screen and respond with "yes" to save the settings to the phone. You do not need to restart the phone.
Your phone will now show a softkey for "Talk".
Step 4: Repeat
Repeat these steps for all the phones on the network, or at least those phones you want to be PTT enabled. PTT should be set between two users so that there are only two phones per channel. For group paging, use the Paging feature.
Step 5: How to Use PTT
To PTT another user, simply hit the "Talk" soft key on your phone and choose a channel. Then press and hold the "Talk" key. The phone will beep and you can then start talking. The non-busy phone will answer the call in speakerphone mode. If the person you're calling is on a call, they will receive your call as a "whisper" if you've selected "Accept While Busy - enable".
Note: As stated above, this is not a standard feature of the OnSIP Hosted PBX and is unsupported. You are welcome to use the following information to enhance your OnSIP experience, but technical support is not available from OnSIP for this feature. For assistance beyond this document you will need to contact the hardware manufacturer/reseller directly.
Updated July 2015
See our top business VoIP phone recommendations for 2017