Updated May 2015
What is it?
OnSIP Call Assistant is a free extension for Chrome that allows you to click to call phone numbers or SIP addresses within your browser. This plugin will also notify you of incoming calls with real-time pop-ups containing caller-ID information.
Outbound click to call
- See phone number.
- Click phone number.
This Chrome extension locates telephone numbers in web pages and converts them to Click-to-Call links on the fly. When you roll over a phone number with your mouse, you will see the number change to a link similar to this:
When you click on one of these links, a call is placed to your OnSIP SIP address. When you answer, the call is patched through to the telephone number.
You need an OnSIP account to use this Chrome extension and standard calling rates will apply.
Inbound call browser notifications
- You are at your computer, browsing the web with Chrome
- Caller dials your phone number
- Your phone rings, and you see a browser pop-up with Caller ID
When you are viewing Chrome and receive a call to your OnSIP extension, a browser pop-up like the following will appear:
To download and configure Call Assistant for Chrome:
- Download the extension file here at the Chrome web store
- Open the extension and confirm installation. OnSIP Call Assistant is now installed in your browser.
- To configure in Chrome, select Window > Extensions > Options.
- On the top right, enter your SIP address and password: the same set that you use to login to the OnSIP app. In case you're new to the OnSIP app, visit this page to find out how to get your password.
- Click Save to take advantage of the click-to-call functionality.
- Immediately after clicking save, click Allow to take advantage of Caller ID browser pop-ups. (You can turn these off in the future if you wish.) If you missed the option to Allow pop-ups, click "Save" on your settings again, and it will appear.
Highrise is a powerful customer and contact relationship tool on the web. Using Highrise, you can keep track of every customer interaction – from emails to documents and contact information.
Now, OnSIP has made it even easier to log phone calls with customers in Highrise with the OnSIP Call Assistant extension for Chrome.
If you are a Highrise user, you can also take advantage of further features with OnSIP Call Assistant:
- Real-time notifications when Highrise contacts are calling; the extension will recognize when a Highrise contact is calling you and will display the contact in the pop-up.
- Each time you converse with a customer, the extension will insert a note in Highrise so you can keep track of your communications.
- If you have a Highrise account, open up the Call Assistant Options menu. (In Chrome, select Window > Extensions > Find Call Assistant > Options or right click on the Call Assistant icon in the top right hand corner of your browser and select 'Options')
- Select the Applications Integrations dropdown and choose Highrise Integration. Enter your Highrise domain and API Key in the appropriate fields. Note: If you have any questions about either of these fields, simply hover over the question mark for a tip.
- Select your timezone from the dropdown.
- Once you have entered the appropriate fields, click Save.
For additional information about feature, visit our Highrise page.
Zendesk is a web-based help desk solution that combines self-service, an optimized ticketing system complete with customer profiles, and powerful analytics for support team managers.
If your organization uses Zendesk, OnSIP Call Assistant can help your customer service by:
- Automatically generating a Zendesk ticket on inbound calls and assigning it to the agent who answered the call. The ticket is saved and then opened in the agent's portal.
- Ticket is time-stamped for the exact time the call was answered.
- Adding identifying information to the ticket—including phone number dialed, callback number, and caller's name (if the calling party's phone number and name are saved in your Zendesk account).
- Caller's name on incoming call pop-up notification (if the calling party's phone number and name are saved in your Zendesk account).
- If you have a Zendesk account, open up the Call Assistant Options menu. (In Chrome, select Window > Extensions > Find Call Assistant > Options or right click on the Call Assistant icon in the top right hand corner of your browser and select 'Options')
- Select the Applications Integrations dropdown and choose Zendesk Integration. Enter your Zendesk URL, Zendesk Email Account, Zendesk API token in the appropriate fields. Note: If you have any questions about either of these fields, simply hover over the question mark for a tip.
- If you would like OnSIP Call Assistant to automatically pop open a new tab showing newly generated tickets on inbound calls, click Advanced and make sure that 'Automatically render ticket in Zendesk tab' is checked.
- Once you have entered the appropriate fields, click Save.
- To get identifying information (such as phone number dialed, callback number, etc) automatically in the generated tickets, you will need to add a few custom ticket fields to your Zendesk account. Log into Zendesk, get to your agent panel, and select the admin cog in the lower left corner.
- Select 'Ticket Fields' under manage and create three new custom TEXT ticket fields labeled exactly: OnSIP SIP Address, OnSIP Call Destination, OnSIP Call Source (shown below highlighted in red).
- Restart Google Chrome and you should be all set.
To receive pop-up notifications:
- Ensure you have enabled pop-up notifications. Chrome > Preferences > Under the Hood > Content Settings > Notifications > Choose "Allow sites to use desktop notifications" or "Ask me when a site wants to show Desktop notifications."
- If you have clicked, "Ask me when a site wants to show Desktop notifications," ensure you have clicked to Allow OnSIP Call Assistant Extension notifications. Go to Window > Extensions > OnSIP Call Assistant Options > Click to Save settings again. Immediately at the top, you will see a yellow bar that prompts you for permission to allow notifications. Click Allow.
To stop notifications:
- In your browser, click Chrome > Preferences > Under the Hood > Content Settings > Notifications > Choose: "Ask me when a site wants to show Desktop notifications."
- In the same window, click Exceptions. Click to Remove the OnSIP Call Assistant extension.
- If you make modifications to the OnSIP Call Assistant Extension, be sure to click Deny when the plugin prompts for pop-up permission.
Be sure you are using the same SIP address and password you use to login to the OnSIP app. If you do not remember your SIP address and password, visit the OnSIP app and click "forgot password." Or, see your OnSIP Account Administrator.
If you are hosting your own domain you *must* put in an XMPP SRV record for both xmpp-client and xmpp-server:
_xmpp-client._tcp.junctionnetworks.com. 300 IN SRV 0 0 5222 xmpp-client.onsip.com._xmpp-server._tcp.junctionnetworks.com. 300 IN SRV 0 0 5269 xmpp-server.onsip.com.